1. You don’t need to pack like you’re going on a polar expedition. Your ski gear, couple of hoddies, a few t-shirts and a pair of jeans is more than enough.
2. Snow boots or wellies are not necessary, trainers will suffice. I’m yet to go to a resort where the snow either hasn’t been cleared or well compacted.
3. Pretty knitted gloves might look nice, but when you fall over (and you will), they won’t provide any resistance from the snow and your fingers will turn to icicles.
4. You don’t need to pack ‘going out clothes’ for the evening, most people just turn up in their ski gear or at best jeans and a jumper.
5. Invest in some good ski socks. Wearing 6 pairs of your normal socks will cut circulation to your feet, thus making you colder quicker.
6. Not wearing a helmet doesn’t make you cool, it makes you stupid!
7. Have lessons. Just because your friends know how to ski, it doesn’t mean they know how to teach. You’ll pick it up much faster under the guidance of a professional.
8. If you’re staying in a more ‘budget’ apartment (in Europe) don’t expect too much. Chances are you won’t be able to swing a cat around and you’ll probably be sleeping on a sofa bed.
9. Don’t worry if you don’t pick things up as a quickly as the rest of the group. No one is going to become the next Shaun White over night.
10. Last of all… just have fun!
Are you planning a a winter trip? Check out my other Winter Sports posts.
Pin for later