10 THINGS I WISH I KNEW BEFORE MY FIRST SKI TRIP

1. You don’t need to pack like you’re going on a polar expedition. Your ski gear, couple of hoddies, a few t-shirts and a pair of jeans is more than enough.

2. Snow boots or wellies are not necessary, trainers will suffice. I’m yet to go to a resort where the snow either hasn’t been cleared or well compacted.

3. Pretty knitted gloves might look nice, but when you fall over (and you will), they won’t provide any resistance from the snow and your fingers will turn to icicles.

4. You don’t need to pack ‘going out clothes’ for the evening, most people just turn up in their ski gear or at best jeans and a jumper.

5. Invest in some good ski socks. Wearing 6 pairs of your normal socks will cut circulation to your feet, thus making you colder quicker.

6. Not wearing a helmet doesn’t make you cool, it makes you stupid!

7. Have lessons. Just because your friends know how to ski, it doesn’t mean they know how to teach. You’ll pick it up much faster under the guidance of a professional.

8. If you’re staying in a more ‘budget’ apartment (in Europe) don’t expect too much. Chances are you won’t be able to swing a cat around and you’ll probably be sleeping on a sofa bed.

9. Don’t worry if you don’t pick things up as a quickly as the rest of the group. No one is going to become the next Shaun White over night.

10. Last of all… just have fun!

Have you read my other  Winter Sports posts?

20 thoughts on “10 THINGS I WISH I KNEW BEFORE MY FIRST SKI TRIP

1. tatumskipper says:

One other thing, HAND WARMERS! For someone who is just chronically cold, it’s nice to even keep them in your jacket so when you go to lunch, you can warm up your hands or face! Just a thought! Totally agree with all these!

2. ajauntwithjoy says:

Hahaha that comment about swinging a cat around! LOL I’ve never heard of that phrase before! Anyway, I haven’t ever gone skiing but I have gone to work in the Arctic and I totally agree with these points!

• Frosty says:

‘Not enough room to swing a cat around’ is a common phrase in the UK. I imagine most would apply in the Arctic too. I’d love to visit the Arctic!

• Frosty says:

Don’t put it off! I’ve been skiing for years and I still stack it all the time. You’d be surprised how many people go out there to learn and have daily lessons, people of all ages.

3. findyourworldgirl says:

As a Canuck I can totally appreciate all of these! I am so bundled up every time I hit the slopes- I might look ridiculous but I’m not freezing my butt off!

• Frosty says:

Never had the opportunity to ski in Canada, very jealous! As long as you’re warm it doesn’t matter what you look like, no one seems to care on the slopes.