20 REASONS TO VISIT SRI LANKA

For a relatively small Island, Sri Lanka is an incredibly diverse country. Whether you’re a history buff, adrenalin junkie or just want to relax on a beautiful beach, it really does have something for the whole family. With operators such as Thomson now offering packages from London Heathrow, it’s never been easier to visit the teardrop shaped Island. If like us, you don’t like the constraints of a package deal, you can get return flights direct from London Heathrow for as little as £500pp with Sri Lankan Airways.

Need more persuading? Have a read of my top 20 reasons to visit Sri Lanka…

thumb_IMG_2194_10241. Spend hours getting lost in an ancient city.

P10103902. Admire colonial architecture in the picture perfect Galle. Once inside the walled city, you’ll feel like you’re in a completely different country.

P10002473. Tick off some UNESCO sites by visiting one or all of the 8 World Heritage sites in Sri Lanka. (Photo – Cave Temples of Dambulla).

P10105394. Party all night on one of the many party beaches. Our favourite was Unawatuna.

P10001795. Take a seat in the open door of a train. The scenic but 8 hour journey from Kandy to Ella was one the highlights of our trip.

P10008286. Ride the streets in a crazy tuk tuk, just don’t forget to barter on the price before you get in.

P10006027. Experience nature at its best – in the wild. With 22 national parks to choose from there is an abundance of wildlife to see.

P10101868. Do as the locals do and take a walk along the train track. *TIP* the trains are slow but be cautious walking through narrow tunnels.

P10105789. Swim with a turtle in the Indian ocean, but please don’t touch.

P100022110. Find enlightenment in one of the many Buddhist Temples.

P100017411. Fill your belly with delicious local foods. Don’t be afraid to try the street food, it’s much better than any Western style restaurant you’ll find.

IMG_212612. Sip on the aptly named cocktail Arrack Attack. Arrack is a popular spirit amongst locals, but be warned, it’s the devils juice and you may not be able to function properly the following day.

P100010513. Ignore what people say, spend a day exploring Colombo, don’t miss out completely. I’ve never witnessed anywhere so hectic.

P101002614. Drink copious amounts of the world’s best tea. It will be shoved under your nose at every opportunity in every guesthouse you visit.

P101005915. Give homestay a try, you’ll get an incredible opportunity to meet and live like a local, even if just for one night.

filipp-nekhaev-5867616. Climb the 5500 steps to the summit of Adams peak (we just did the little one).

P100034017. Be amazed at how a palace could be built on a 660 ft rock during the 5th century.

henriette-welz-4949918. Learn to surf in Arugams Bay.

P101007519. Gasp at the breathtaking landscapes.

P100021120. Cheap accommodation. Okay, not as cheap as other Asian countries but, by Western standards it’s great value for money.

Want to find out more about Sri Lanka? Check out my other posts >here<.

Have you visited Sri Lanka? What were your highlights?

Pin 20 Reason to vist Sri Lanka
20 REASONS

22 thoughts on “20 REASONS TO VISIT SRI LANKA

1. tashasoyster says:

Seeing posts about Sri Lanka makes me even more excited to visit this year! I’d love to see a turtle there (but obviously won’t touch it). Where did you see one? And which national parks would you recommend? I can’t wait to see elephants in the wild!

• Any Place But Home says:

You’ll love it. We saw turtles in Hikkaduwa. They come in to shore everyday as the locals feed them seaweed. Even though the locals feed them they do try and encurage the tourists to repect them. For elephants we went to Kadulla National Park (but check the migration pattern for the time of year) and we saw leopards in Yala National Park. Are you planning on travelling around?

2. Leslie Price says:

This post makes me so happy, especially since I’m reading it on my guesthouse balcony in Galle while drinking a cold Lion beer! It’s a great list, and I don’t disagree with any of it. Galle, especially, has captured my heart. I was originally only here for two nights. I left and immediately came back because I missed it so much. I booked a ten day stay inside the fort and just extended it a few more. I know I eventually have to leave, but it’s going to be awful. Of course I do want to see the rest of the country, but maybe I could just stay one more night…

Liked by 1 person

• Any Place But Home says:

You have no idea how jealous I am that you’re in Galle and I’m sat in the rainy UK! We stayed in Unawatuna and just visited Galle for the day, it’s such a beautiful yet strange place, I didn’t feel like I was in Sri Lanka when inside the fort. Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay 🙂

3. Reading the Book says:

Sri Lanka is just edging around the top of my bucket list – I really do want to get there soon! Thanks for some great suggestions that I didn’t know about, in addition to the ones I did that I’m now even more inspired about!

Liked by 1 person

4. ventureandeat says:

I didn’t know very much about Sri Lanka before reading your post, but it looks so pretty and somewhere you can just go exploring! Thanks for sharing.

Liked by 1 person

5. Cali says:

You probably could have had me convinced with like two or three reasons, haha! But with 20, I am probably gonna see how much flights cost after I post this comment. Awesome pictures, Sri Lanka has always been near the top of my list, and for good reason as you have just confirmed!

Liked by 1 person

6. jin says:

Loved this! I actually went to Sri Lanka almost 6 years ago for my honeymoon! Would love to go back and explore more of this wonderful country. Thank you for sharing!

Liked by 1 person

7. yesihaveablog says:

I visited back in October with my friend and we loved it. There were so many different types of things to do and I loved how the landscape changed from one day to the next (and I think we only saw a fraction on what’s on offer).

Liked by 1 person

8. Mimi & Mitch says:

Gotta agree with all of your points why people should go to Sri Lanka! Nature is so beautiful there and all the Buddhist Temples are just amazing to go visit! Of course the Ella train trip to Kandy is one of our highlights

Liked by 1 person