For a relatively small Island, Sri Lanka is an incredibly diverse country. Whether you’re a history buff, adrenalin junkie or just want to relax on a beautiful beach, it really does have something for the whole family. With operators such as Thomson now offering packages from London Heathrow, it’s never been easier to visit the teardrop shaped Island. If like us, you don’t like the constraints of a package deal, you can get return flights direct from London Heathrow for as little as £500pp with Sri Lankan Airways.
Need more persuading? Have a read of my top 20 reasons to visit Sri Lanka…
1. Spend hours getting lost in an ancient city.
2. Admire colonial architecture in the picture perfect Galle. Once inside the walled city, you’ll feel like you’re in a completely different country.
3. Tick off some UNESCO sites by visiting one or all of the 8 World Heritage sites in Sri Lanka. (Photo – Cave Temples of Dambulla).
4. Party all night on one of the many party beaches. Our favourite was Unawatuna.
5. Take a seat in the open door of a train. The scenic but 8 hour journey from Kandy to Ella was one the highlights of our trip.
6. Ride the streets in a crazy tuk tuk, just don’t forget to barter on the price before you get in.
7. Experience nature at its best – in the wild. With 22 national parks to choose from there is an abundance of wildlife to see.
8. Do as the locals do and take a walk along the train track. *TIP* the trains are slow but be cautious walking through narrow tunnels.
9. Swim with a turtle in the Indian ocean, but please don’t touch.
10. Find enlightenment in one of the many Buddhist Temples.
11. Fill your belly with delicious local foods. Don’t be afraid to try the street food, it’s much better than any Western style restaurant you’ll find.
12. Sip on the aptly named cocktail Arrack Attack. Arrack is a popular spirit amongst locals, but be warned, it’s the devils juice and you may not be able to function properly the following day.
13. Ignore what people say, spend a day exploring Colombo, don’t miss out completely. I’ve never witnessed anywhere so hectic.
14. Drink copious amounts of the world’s best tea. It will be shoved under your nose at every opportunity in every guesthouse you visit.
15. Give homestay a try, you’ll get an incredible opportunity to meet and live like a local, even if just for one night.
16. Climb the 5500 steps to the summit of Adams peak (we just did the little one).
17. Be amazed at how a palace could be built on a 660 ft rock during the 5th century.
18. Learn to surf in Arugams Bay.
19. Gasp at the breathtaking landscapes.
20. Cheap accommodation. Okay, not as cheap as other Asian countries but, by Western standards it’s great value for money.
Want to find out more about Sri Lanka? Check out my other posts >here<.
Have you visited Sri Lanka? What were your highlights?